What time is it where you are?

This is Palm Desert, Ca. time...

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday


Today you are in for a REAL TREAT!

My whole family just got back from a wonderful week of vacation in South Bend, Indiana where we visited my aunt's and uncle's. This trip was very special and we have some more amazing memories to hold deep in our hearts.
We travel back there so much, that is seems like I lived there longer than a few years. We have had some pretty incredible trips and a ton of memories to hang on to and share with each other.
You may be asking yourself, "Why is Beth Ann telling me all this when it is Vintage Thingies Thursday?"
I'll tell you why....my vintage thingie IS in South Bend!
This is the home of two very important people in my life: Aunt Bette and Uncle Ted. They not only are my favorite aunt and uncle, they are also my Godparents, my mother's sister and brother-in-law, the neatest people who have opened up their hearts and arms to all 15 of us- and believe me when I say they are also the most patient!
This past week, we have 'swooped in' and taken over their household...let me explain...

They have a fairytale house with a lot of land (rural is the word, I believe), somewhere between 7 and 12 acres...I always forget. It is the sort of place kids can go wild in, because they can be roaming safely around all day, and you'd never see them until the dinner bell rings.
Nooks and crannies, secret fields and hills to climb, paths to walk and all sorts of bugs to catch.

My mom and dad drove their motor home up there a few months ago- so they stayed in that (on the property) and my aunt and uncle also have one, so they stayed in that (on the property) and the rest of us took over the house!
I am the oldest-married, with 7 year old twins. We took the attic floor.
My brother is 15 months younger than I, has two kids- 7 and 4, and a girlfriend. He took the downstairs bedroom.
My sister is 8 years younger than I, is married and has three kids-5, 3 and 9 months. They took the master bedroom.
I'm explaining all this because you had to see us to believe it- this house has always been HUGE to us growing up... and here we are basically throwing our favorite aunt and uncle out of their house, just so we could come visit! (I'm laughing right now)

Are you ready? Here she is:





From on top of 'the hill' looking toward house
Click on photo to enlarge








Closer view








Side view
See top window under roof corner? Mine.




It was originally built by a doctor who lived in town. This was his cottage retreat when he just had to get out of town! It was then bought by my aunt and uncle somewhere in the mid 50-60's, and they have lived here ever since. Inside she has high pitched ceilings covered in wood, with wood beams traveling across the space. Old lighting fixtures and big stone fireplaces remind me of the 1920's. She truly is a beauty to behold and a one-of-a-kind.













The hanging lights in the living room













The built-ins in the dining room











And just one of the dressers in the house












I hope you enjoyed my little tour of South Bend, Indiana... and I'll see you next week!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the decor of your 'vintage thingy!' what fun to spend time with your family and let your kids roam the countryside!

The Apron Queen said...

They sure don't make homes like they used to. Gorgeous. And I remember roaming hte woods & creek as a kid. My Mom wouldn't see us for hours. The fun we had.

Thanks for sharing.

Ronda's Rants said...

You WERE in heaven...How very beautiful and I can't wait to go on Vacation...we hope to go to Palm Springs in August!! Have a good day and thanks for sharing such great pictures!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place! And I LOVE built-ins, those are spectacular.

Melissa said...

What a fantastic home! The craftsmanship is nice. I love the old dresser. Great photos, thanks for sharing.

S said...

Such a lucky family to be all together in that gorgeous setting! Love the wood, the stones, the rolling hills. So glad you had a visit so you could share it all with us.

Threeundertwo said...

What lucky kids to get to roam all over like that! Thanks so much for the tour!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Great post about some very dear people in your life. Their home and furnishings are beautiful--I can understand why you love it so.
I enjoyed it all!
Blessings to You!
Claudia O.

Anonymous said...

Your bell makes me envious! There were a few of these owned by different branches of my family. The whereabouts are now all unknown. It would have been so cool to have one. I love it...and all the pics you shared.

JEWELGIRL said...

Lots of wonderful treasures here!
Would love to see the contents of
those etched glass cabinets! :)