What time is it where you are?

This is Palm Desert, Ca. time...

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday

This is my first Vintage Thingies Thursday and I was so excited to make my entry!
However I started to panic when I couldn't find something 'vintage' in my house, and I must have walked in circles for a few minutes before I remembered the radio.
This radio has been sitting in my front hallway for 6 years, sat in my living room in Las Vegas for 5 years and again in my family room in Lancaster for a few years.
I'm not sure of the age, but it is a real radio that has had it's wiring taken out. I suppose I should research how old it is and any history I can find, but you know how time slips by...
At one time, when I was much younger, I had the dream of fixing it up so it would work. Now I just look at it and enjoy it's simple beauty. The name on it is PHILCO and the dial is most interesting- as it has prescribed 'stations' around the dial, and places all over the world like Japan, London... Could it be an old international radio? I have no idea! Anyone have info on this?

8 comments:

Amy said...

I love it! A friend of mine has one in here lounge and it still goes :-)

Unknown said...

Welcome to VTT! I love your radio. There is tons of info online about vintage radios & TVs. Definitely do some research.

Woman in a Window said...

Love it! We have two old radios and my son (6yrs old) loves to use them as retreats for his spiderman characters. All the old wires and hidey cubbies is great to hold villains for sneak attacks.

The Apron Queen said...

Isn't it amazing that it used to take all that to listen to a radio. And now we have tiny ipods? Pretty awesome. Let us know if you find out more. Thanks for sharing! :D

Threeundertwo said...

Welcome to VTT! Its funny how we have some vintage things that we look at every day but don't think about how old they are. Your radio is beautiful and intriguing. Great conversation piece.

S said...

What a gorgeous piece! I love that dial and the simple wood case. How funny you ran around for something to photograph, by next week you'll have a stock pile of pics just waiting to be posted - thanks for sharing!

JEWELGIRL said...

WELCOME! Wow! This is vintage and
an amazing radio. I don't remember
anything like this at my house growing up. Great job!

Kristine said...

Your radio is wonderful!! I love listening to my old tuberadio..crackles and all!
This is sooo fun looking at everybody's stuff!!!
thank you soo much!!

kristine
kitsch n sink studio