What time is it where you are?

This is Palm Desert, Ca. time...

Friday, August 8, 2008

What happens in a "Flood Watch" here in Palm Springs, Ca.

Yesterday I woke up and could smell the rain. What a wonderful smell that is...we don't get that too often here. Seems funny growing up in the East, where everything is green, and remembering warm and cold rain showers, and now for the last 15 years I have lived in some sort of desert!
There is nothing that comes close to the smell of rain in the desert, but it takes awhile to hone in on perfecting your olfactory smells. As a seasoned veteran, (haha) once you smell rain, you can almost feel the whole sandy floor of this valley open up, ready to quench it's thirst.
Sure enough there was a valley flood watch for our area yesterday, and I was ready to document the whole event.

Impending clouds already overhead

Another view of the looming water clouds ready to unleash it's fury and flood the valley



This video is of the actual storm

and the actual damage from this flash flood is....











This is an actual puddle leftover from the aftermath. It is approximately 1 mm deep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
Got your comment. Thyme would definitely work for you. I'm adding your blog to my blogroll. Add mine too, if you like. Thanks.

Woman in a Window said...

Ha! More than that was squeezed from my shirt this afternoon after my son and I got caught in the rain while on a bike ride.