What time is it where you are?

This is Palm Desert, Ca. time...

Monday, June 6, 2011

Going GREEN and SPROUTING

Sprouts?
Like a seed sprouting? Eating the sprout?
It does what for my body?.....
I am drifting (oh-so-slowly) into a foreign new land of 'healthyness'.
What I mean by that is I envision myself finally learning to take care of myself first, and get my weight under control.
My life is at the half-way point, not to sound morbid or depressing, but I'm openly aware that I might not live past 80, and that is okay. I just want to go out gracefully, not disease-ridden.
What scares me is how my body feels now. It's not good.

I need to make a change, and so does my family.

Green. Live foods. Organic. These are things I am learning about as I garden more with my students and meet fascinating people who teach us along the way.

So, I tried my first 'sprouts' a couple of weeks ago and got a mini lesson on how wonderful they are for the body. They were good, and I thought, "I can grow sprouts!"
So I started some a day ago and was so proud. My husband poked at the bag on the counter (they need darkness to begin) and I explained very matter-of-factly that they were sprouts. Well, I threw them in the trash this afternoon as I saw fuzzies on the seeds. (bummer)
I researched on the computer and realized I didn't rinse and drain daily, as I was supposed to. Duh!
So I will make another trip to the local health food store and purchase more raw sunflower seeds. I learned a lot from this site: sprouting

I also have a Blendtec blender that does everything! I mean everything! We got it at Costco and LOVE IT! I make much healthier versions of everything with the awesome cookbook that came with it.

So Im also 'following 'Green Smoothie Girl' for her recipes on 'green' smoothies. I haven't tried one yet, but I aspire too- I have the kale growing in my backyard to pick...(still waiting to pick it) I bought one of her books to read this summer. I can envision myself now laying on my new lounge chair, catching some rays carefully by the poolside. (maybe sipping on a green smoothie?)

Drop me a message if you have tried any of this! :)
PS- the pic is seeds soaking for an overnighter, and a protein powder....I'm beginning my journey!

This should be an interesting summer!

1 comment:

Erin said...

It is a worthwhile journey I guarantee it!!

Hugs and kisses to you all!!